Monday, June 6, 2016

Excited, Nervous, Happy, Sad, Anxious, Bittersweet.


ALREADY JUNE

…which means, one month left in South Africa!

You may be asking, “Is she ready to come home?”

Seeing things day to day, sometimes it feels as if the time is moving so slowly.

As I look back on my year as a whole in South Africa, I’m not sure where the time went.


(…As I sit here and type about my current thoughts, I find it extremely hard to get my feelings and emotions into words, so please bear with me…)

I think it’s safe to say that the emotional roller coaster that I am currently riding on is unlike any other. Some days I wake up and cannot wait to get to the school to see my students, and other days I wake up and am counting down the days until I can be back at home with my family. It’s a feeling that I have never experienced before. The excitement of going back to familiarity & the people I love the most mixed with the realization of the upcoming goodbyes that will be made creates an overwhelming “bittersweet” sensation.
The past few months in South Africa may have been the most challenging out of the whole year. I found myself constantly trying to be present here at my assignment, yet there is so much to look forward to when arriving back home. Often times, I had to completely stop myself in the moment and remind myself that THIS is where I am right now, and that I have been placed here for a reason. 



Having only 11 days left of school with my students, I have come to realize how limited my time truly is. Each day I have had with these children this past year has been a true blessing in my life. Before coming to South Africa, I had all these “big visions” of changing my student’s lives, and leaving an everlasting impact on them. Instead, the roles were reversed. And although I do believe I was able to positively influence each of their lives & education, it doesn’t even come close to the impact they made on my own life. As I say goodbye to each of my 16 students on June 24th and send them on their way home, I know part of my heart will never be the same. Although I have come to realize I may never get the chance to see all of them again, I do know that I will forever carry a piece of each of them with me wherever I go.





On June 24th, I will also be parting ways with the wonderful teachers & staff here at Hope Valley Farm School along with the farming community that I have called my home since arriving here last August. Over the duration of this past year, I have been able to build such strong friendships with all the teachers and individuals on the farm. They have all taught me different & important life lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.



Although I am beyond excited to return back home to my family and friends, I also am feeling very unsettled & unsure about how the “reverse process” will go. I would also like to take a second to simply say thank you to everyone that has supported me throughout this journey. Your kind words, thoughts and prayers mean more to me than I can explain.


THE HORIZON

We will have our last day of school at Hope Valley Farm School on June 24th, 2016 (AKA a day filled with many goodbyes and tears.)

After school on the 24th, I will pack my bags and leave the farm that I have called “my home” for the past year in Africa. From there, I will travel into Pietermaritzburg where I will be spending the following few days with my reps and team members.

On Saturday July 2nd, 2016 Team South Africa will depart for Lesotho. While in Lesotho, we will be meeting with several different partner organizations and seeing the kind of work they perform.

July 7th, 2016 the team will begin our road trip to Johannesburg. I will be in Johannesburg until I fly out on Sunday July 10th, 2016. I will be arriving back State Side on Monday July 11th, 2016.

I will be participating in reentry orientation in Akron, Pennsylvania from the 11th-15th of July. During this time, all the SALTers will come back together from their year overseas to share different experiences and stories.

JULY 15TH – HOME SWEET HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment